While their newly appointed leader gets familiar with the team of CIA and FBI agents, Owen leads an investigation into the strange world of fake news. But hunting down the publishers of a fake story might lead to deadly consequences.
The cache that was previously uploaded to the internet by Lydia Hall has been accessed for key information about emergency-response protocols. As major news outlets covered an event about a chemical plant explosion in a city in Virginia, Owen questioned the authenticity of the media reports. Later, the team with Harry's help, learns that a group of Internet trolls were hired to create the fake news about the explosion from the aid of a private military company called Greypool. The higher officials within the company wanted the city to be evacuated in order to hunt a person of interest. The person in question is Mallory Haynes. She was hired by a US Senator to create fake news in order to help with his election. However, Nimah traces the cache information to Henry Roarke, the Speaker of the House. Meanwhile, Ryan deals with a journalist, Sasha Barinov, who threatens to expose him as a government agent unless he can give her a story.
- Priyanka Chopra as Alex Parrish
- Jake McLaughlin as Ryan Booth
- Aunjanue Ellis as Miranda Shaw (credit only)
- Yasmine Al Massri as Nimah Amin
- Johanna Braddy as Shelby Wyatt
- Russell Tovey as Harry Doyle
- Blair Underwood as Owen Hall
- Pearl Thusi as Dayana Mampasi
- The title of this episode, MOCKINGBIRD is a CIA cryptonym for the organization's recruitment of American journalists. The purpose behind this recruitment is the information that the CIA provides in the form of cover propaganda and implanted media stories that would be cited by reporters and later, confirmed by American and foreign led news organizations.