- "The most dangerous enemy that America faces is the enemy within. The traitors that play the long game, and they inflict the deepest wounds because people miss the warning signs. And that's what you are, Simon Asher, one big, flashing, warning sign."
- —Elias Harper
Harper is described as an openly gay, incredibly funny former defense attorney who used his rhetoric and savvy against FBI cases. Recruited by Miranda as an analyst for his brilliant mind, Elias is a debate-team type who loves to be right but also has a soft and kind-hearted side.
Sometime after his recruitment at Quantico, he failed an exercise and flunked out of the academy. Later, it was revealed that Elias framed Simon as the suspect of the Command Center bombing before committing suicide. In Yes, it was revealed in a flashback that he helped the mastermind terrorist Liam O'Connor in capturing Alex Parrish and framing her for the Grand Central bombing. In addition, it was revealed that he was blackmailed by Liam to help him with his bombing plans as well as being forced to either choose between framing a suspect for the second bombing or implanting the bombs at the FBI Command Center.
- He is the first LGBT male character in the series.
- He is openly gay.
- He was a former lawyer.
- He was a fixer, which is a possible reason, why Liam blackmailed him into helping his bombings plans.
- He was a former FBI analyst recruit.
- He is the second character to commit suicide. The first was Eric Packer.