The Central Intelligence Agency (abbreviated CIA) is an intelligence-gathering agency of the United States of America. As America's primary intelligence agency, it is responsible for keeping the government informed of foreign threats to national security or national interests. Charged with coordinating all U.S. intelligence activities by the National Security Council, the Director and Deputy director of the CIA are appointed by the President with the consent of the Senate.
Unlike the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), which is a domestic security service, the CIA has no law enforcement function and is mainly focused on overseas intelligence gathering, with only limited domestic collection.
Langley is a term often used to refer to the Central Intelligence Agency. This is in reference to the organization's headquarters which is located in Langley, Virginia. The training for clandestine case officers is conducted at Camp Peary.
The CIA has five priorities:
- Counter-terrorism, the top priority, given the ongoing global War on Terror (WOT).
- Nonproliferation of nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction, with North Korea described as perhaps the most difficult target.
- Warning/informing American leaders of important overseas events, with Pakistan described as an "intractable target".
- Counterintelligence, with China, Russia, Iran, Cuba, and Israel described as "priority" targets.
- Cyber intelligence.
The CIA is organized in the following manner:
Office of the Director
- Deputy Director
- Executive Director
- Deputy Executive Director
- The Directorate of Digital Innovation
- The Directorate of Analysis
- The Directorate of Operations
- The Directorate of Support
- The Directorate of Science and Technology
Camp Peary, also known as "The Farm" is located in Williamsburg, Virginia. It is the primary setting for the training of CIA recruits who will be future clandestine officers of the organization. In addition, it was the primary location set in the past timeline for the first half of the second season of Quantico.
Notable CIA Members
- Alex Parrish
- Sebastian Chen
- Dayana Mampasi
- Harry Doyle
- Ryan Booth
- León Velez
- Leigh Davis
- Jeremy Miller
Former CIA Members
- Alex Parrish (former; resigned)
- Ryan Booth (former; resigned)
- Lydia Hall (former; terminated)
- Angie Reynolds (former; deceased)
- Carly Klapp (former; deceased)
- Jason Bowling (former; deceased)
- Will Olsen (former)